Feb 25, 2021
In this episode, we are talking about entrepreneur mental
health. Our guest, Matthew Cooper, stepped down from his role
as CEO of EarnUp after growing the business successfully for 7
years after creating it. When he stepped down, he cited
mental health as the primary driver and wrote an incredibly
authentic, vulnerable and amazing blog post about his decision on
December 18, 2020.
You can connect with Matthew here:
What If Fellowship: https://whatif.vc/fellowship
HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS WE TALKED
- Matthew shares his story about his history of mental illness
and how it led him to the place that he is at today in both his
personal life and his career.
- We talk about the stressors that come with starting a business
and how certain beliefs can lead to a feeling of isolation while
being successful at the same time.
- We discuss what options are available for real support to
entrepreneurs and founders of companies to prevent a mental health
emergency or burnout.
- Matthew shares what tools he has tried and what worked for him,
his experiences with in-patient treatments, and his mental health
cycles that he has gone through.
- We discuss how mental health is not a linear journey for many
people and how worth it it is to keep trying to find the right
solution to your problem.
- We talk about what we can be doing to better support
entrepreneurs as an ecosystem of founders and investors, but also
as friends or family members of entrepreneurs.
- Finally, Matthew shares that human connection with safe people
is a huge factor in keeping your mental health in a positive space
as well as just sharing your story and being open with where you’re
Connect with the Stigma Podcast in the following
ways: What If
Fellowship, Patreon, Website, Twitter, Facebook,
Connect with host Stephen Hays here: Stephen Hays Personal Website,
What If Ventures (Mental Health